Blog #6- Inquiry and Mini-Lessons

    Inquiry learning gives students the opportunity to use critical thinking with real-world, engaging activities in a hands-on environment developing deep understanding of the content they are exploring.  There were a lot of good points made in the article, “Implementing-Inquiry”.  It states that inquiry is for “both teachers and students to collaboratively build, test, and reflect on their learning.”  “Inquiry is not merely ‘having students do projects’ but rather strives to nurture a deep, discipline-based way of thinking and doing with students.”  In my elementary school, I do not think inquiry learning takes place as often as it should.  It would be wonderful to see more learning taking place like Diana Laufenberg described in her video, “How to Learn From Mistakes”.  Students learn more when they play an active role in the classroom.





My thoughts for my mini-lessons have gone in a lot of different directions.  I’m thinking about using social studies and focusing on the standards that cover the six regions of South Carolina.  I will use my curated list about plagiarism before my students research and take notes on the six regions.  The technology part of my unit will be the students creating a computer generated pamphlet or poster on the region of their choice.  In Liz Keren-Kolb's article she discusses the importance of technology being used to engage, enhance, or extend learning in ways that traditional tools do not.  I believe my students will be actively engaged in this lesson and the technology assignment will "allow them to demonstrate their understanding in a way that they could not with traditional tools" (Keren-Kolb).  To extend the technology I'm still going through some different ideas in my head.  Maybe making a connection with our local visitor's center.  The assessments will be teacher observations and the student project (pamphlet/poster).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #2

Reflective Searching- Blog #3