Blog #5

    I am on my way to achieving the learning goals that I stated in my first blog.  I have learned more about using Twitter, Blogger, and content curation.  Trying to meet the requirements each week with no prior knowledge of these resources however has been very difficult.  Now that school is out for the summer (Yippee!!), I will have more time to research and learn even more. 
    After the information on growth mindset this week, I would add to my goals to learn more about how I can help my students develop a growth mindset.  In the article, "Even Geniuses Work Hard", by Carol S. Dweck, it says, "Students with a fixed mindset do not like effort.  They believe that if you have ability, everything should come naturally."  This would describe the large majority of my 3rd graders.  They give up easily, and they don't ask questions.  Why do they think asking questions is a sign of weakness?  In Carol S. Dweck's interview, she tells how they taught students about growth mindset and how it improved their academic performance.  I am going to do more research on how I can teach my elementary students about growth mindset.
    I should also add to grow in the area of digital fluency to my goals.  Reading about the "Digital Information Fluency Model" this week reminded me that I have learned a lot, but I have a long way to go.  I can't say that I haven't wanted to quit some days when things get tough, but my growth mindset keeps pushing me forward.  Like Eduardo Briceno said in his video, "I can't do it... yet!" 

Comments

  1. I love how you've adjusted your goals to adapt to a growth mindset for yourself as well as your students. I am pretty excited about school being out for the summer as well, and hopefully through collaboration and continued resource guides we can work to reach our goals together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #6- Inquiry and Mini-Lessons

Blog #2

Reflective Searching- Blog #3